Wednesday, March 22, 2006

How to be a good houseguest


(some spoilers, but not really)

I think we're all a bit in a post-oscar slump, and with so few movies out that look watchable (I mean, SHE'S THE MAN? I don't think so), I am turning to dvds.

I missed seeing JUNEBUG when it was in theaters...did any of you see it? I rented it a week or so ago and as a result, I think I am in love with Amy Adams. Or, rather, the character of Ashley. I think I liked everything about this movie. The casting, the story, the soundtrack (original music composed by Yo La Tengo), the characters, the everything. This is not a frenzied love - the movie is quiet and sort of sneaks up on you, and then BAM you love it.

And what great female characters! The triumvirate of Madeleine, Peg, and Ashley was fascinating to me - I really felt like the women took center stage in this movie. Madeleine's travails in trying to be a good houseguest, sort of trying to be a good daughter-in-law (and sister-in-law), but most of all trying to get a painting of a beloved artist kept the plot moving along. But Amy Adams as Ashley stole the show with her (somehow not annoying) optimistic, almost childlike outlook as a pregnant woman married to the non-favorite son in the family, Johnny.

Loved the use of silence throughout the movie (because that's how life is - I don't have swelling music that corresponds to the mundane parts of my life). Especially loved the hilarious, and at times poignant, incorporation of religion/belief in God in the film - George's hymn singing revealed to Madeleine, everyone (including the autistic, foulmouthed artist) bowing their heads during Ashley's prayer at the shower.

In the end, I loved this film because it captured the unevenness of getting to know others, the feeling of being an alien, and the human need for love and to be loved.

Plus, you get to see Embeth Davidtz and Alessandro Nivola get it on, and that's kind of freaky, considering they played brother and sister in MANSFIELD PARK. Yes, I remember facts like that.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that more weird than seeing Alessandro Nivola with Frances McDormand?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

As someone who went to school in the south, and who counts southerners among her closest friends (and we debate and discuss the stereotypes endlessly), I, too, am very wary of films that depict sterotypical southern life, etc. But this is no SWEET HOME, ALABAMA.

I found this more about class - his middle-class, extremely conventional upbringing -versus her international, upper-class childhood. i truly think that it could have taken place in the north, but the religion would have been different - probably catholic.

and yes, those pockets were cool.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Hey, campers. We missed you all! This film is on our queue - don't know exactly where - and I am anxious to see it. Sounds like it struck a real chord with you, Kate. Must mean it's quality.

I have never seen Amy Adams, that I am aware of, and I think I only know Embeth Davidtz from a few things - does anyone remember a pretty bad Robert Altman film called THE GINGERBREAD MAN starring Kenneth Branagh as a Southern lawyer? I did see MANSFIELD PARK, but I am blanking on the details, other than Frances O'Connor, right?

Ugh. Maybe I should let the jetlag wear off before I try to participate in this conversation!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Embeth Davidtz's first big role was in SCHINDLER'S LIST - she was the jewish servant in the house of the Ralph Fiennes character. Remember that scene in the basement? eek.

She was also in Bridget Jones (the first one). Darcy's uptight law partner and girlfriend.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home