Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Opening weekend - what would DaVinci do?

Okay, kids, it's here. After all the trailers, the hype, the protests, the hubbub, the film has finally arrived. It was screened last night in Cannes, and rumour has it that it's getting mixed reviews.

Neverfear, I am going to not rant about Dan Brown in this posting. I am merely asking that if anyone who reads this should see the film this weekend, please let us all know how it is! I imagine it may be pretty hard to build up suspense in this film, as so many already know the big twist.

I have to say, since this book first hit it big, I have been wondering what DaVinci would think of all of this. Would he hate it or love it? Or would he be on the press junket with Ron Howard and crew, talking about his contribution to the film? We'll never know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Thank goodness for Kate! She is single-handedly keeping the Balcony going! It seems since baseball season began, our film intake has dropped precipitously.

That being said, I have found the hype for this film to be EXCEEDINGLY ANNOYING. (There isn't a single SEPTA bus on whose side ads for it are not pasted.) Is it because I am the last person on Earth who hasn't read the book, or because of Tom Hanks' bad hair? Or what I suspect is the flagrant misuse and abuse of two great Brits - Sir Ian and young Paul Bettany? (Do I really need to see a movie with Paul B. that doesn't also star Russell Crowe? Truly, they are one of the all-time great screen teams, I think.)

I am ranting. Clearly I need to start posting again. Will I ever see this movie? Probably not. And I am (not-so) secretly hoping that it TANKS.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Okay, everyone, I just got back to my hotel room off of times square (davinci code promotion mania) and a friend told me to read this. what a hoot. I just had an excellent laugh. particularly like the reference to brown's writing style. hee!

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2006/05/17/movies/17cnd-code.html

(no hyperlinks in comments)

Em, please, hardly single-handedly doing anything. need to see some pictures myself. :)

5:59 PM  
Blogger Em said...

even without having read a single dan brown sentence before, i thought a.o. scott was brilliant.

the review is a riot throughout; far more entertaining than i imagine the film itself must be.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home