Saturday, December 30, 2006

THE SOULS OF THE DEPARTED


 I just got my teeth kicked in courtesy of Martin Scorsese and his slew of gifted actors in THE DEPARTED.  This is breath-taking, thrilling filmmaking and story-telling, and the actors are all outrageous.  Leo DiCaprio has finally made a believer out of me, and can any of us really believe the resurgence of Alec Baldwin?  Let's also not forget the always-brilliant Ray Winstone (a Balcony favorite), and Mark Wahlberg, who really never gets the credit he deserves for being totally top-notch.  There are too many highlights to name here, but I think the scene with Leo and Jack in the restaurant is pretty much the narrative peak of the film, and it was a total pleasure to see the young lad holding his own against the force of nature that is Jack.

I didn't even mind the guns and blood:  the story is that good, the characters (especially Leo's Billy Costigan) that involving, that I just got sucked right in and never wanted out.  

It's a bit long, there are some unnecessary plot-twists, the women (woman, really) are pitifully under-written, but it's a bloody (and I do mean bloody) great film.

Marty, I have always loved you, if only for THE LAST WALTZ, but now you have shown me just what you are truly made of.  Thanks for a great ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home